Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

WAXWING sightings or info on concentrations of berry laden ROWAN

Posted by pete marsh 
Re: WAXWING sightings or info on concentrations of berry laden ROWAN
December 29, 2016 02:09PM
38 Waxwing in trees between at Princess Aveune (just off Ashton Road opposite Ripley St Thomas School) and Binyon Road at 11.20 am this morning.

Pete C
December 29, 2016 02:18PM
see main sighting for todays waxwings

peter last
December 29, 2016 05:26PM
See Wray roost posting - def not the sibilant trill you can sometimes get from Pre roost (? continental) blackbird
December 30, 2016 09:57AM
19 Waxwings at Sainsbury's car park, Lancaster at 9.30 am today (Friday). In the tall trees bordering the Greyhound Bridge.

Pete C
December 30, 2016 11:41AM
A single Waxwing feeding on pink rowan berries in walled garden Hornby Castle flew east at 11 20.

Please note Hornby Castle is private.
December 30, 2016 05:36PM
Wonder if that is the lonely individual by my house the other day - not far
December 30, 2016 05:40PM
5 Heysham Mossgate estate in Plover drive late morning, then flew over houses in bypass direction

2 earlier at Bookers on Northgate - c0930 just as the place was getting active and the Redwing & Blackbirds cleared off whilst the Waxwings went over the road and seemed to drop behind a warehouse

Wouldn't mind finding a big flock on the deck - all dribs and drabs for me and incredibly restless and mobile compared to several previous years of these things!
December 30, 2016 08:13PM
15 waxwings @ Boot and Shoe @ 12.40pm,, Very flighty, stayed in tree less than a minute
December 30, 2016 09:48PM
Doing the LDBWS winter survey today, clocked a total of 47 waxwing in various previously recorded areas between 11am and 11.45am so far apart I am confident they are all individual birds. With red Rowan almost stripped do not underestimate the value of pink or white Rowan, well fruited Cotoneaster or Service trees of which there are many left in the area. Also 3 nuthatch in Williamson Park and little owl at Torrisholme Cricket Club. I know of two tawny owls in the L and M area but would be interested if others could point me to more away from the Quernmore Rd or Barley Cop Lane sites. The obvious highlight this winter is the number of winter thrushes in the city, blackbirds especially. Also thoughts on how to rationally count the town centre pied wagtail roost properly ... at what distance do they travel in from?
December 30, 2016 10:04PM
Can't include the roost eddy - could include birds from some distance away eg the huge redwing etc roost at Wray is off limits for survey purposes!
December 30, 2016 11:42PM
Pete, I'm well aware of this already.

My rather badly phrased question was how do we equate or equalise a large population of one species, in this case pied wagtail, when it is centred in its roost spot at just about the centre of the entire survey area. Could we take this as being the entire survey area population or would that be unacceptable.? Should it be noted as a separate and notable record in the winter survey? Could it be compared to the survey data per square as a calibration exercise? Obviously my own counts of pied wagtail have been away from this point, are in just double figures, and after and before roost times so they don't affect my observation of the Horseshoe Corner evening roost which is not included in my data.
December 31, 2016 08:22AM
I had the same thought Pete and it went back in roughly your direction
December 31, 2016 09:23AM
Hi Eddy,

I have heard a tawny owl at Highgate Field near Piccadilly garden centre.

Guy
December 31, 2016 01:42PM
21 waxwings feeding in Cable Street car park but seen from Sainsbury's car park. I counted 16 when I went in Sainsbury's at 10.45 and 21 when I came out around 11.00 so may have missed a few.
December 31, 2016 07:16PM
Just out of interest Barrie were they being noticed by people at this very populous place c/f our experience with high tide wader roosts? Thanks.
December 31, 2016 08:28PM
Pete, I don't know if anybody was watching them from Cable Street car park, but I think I was the only person watching them at Sainsbury's while I was there. They flew away during one of their feeding frenzies, presumably flushed by someone at their car. I'm wondering if they will move onto a berry-laden tree next to the Millennium Bridge (North side) once they have cleared the trees in Cable Street car park. If they do, then surely non-birders will notice them there.
Barrie
January 01, 2017 11:05AM
23 waxwing cable street/Sainsbury's at 0920 Ish
January 01, 2017 01:26PM
At least 12 birds at the White Cross 12.30 - 1pm

One bird with colour rings on left leg: blue, red, green (pale). I couldn't see if it carries rings on the right leg.

Best wishes for 2017!
January 01, 2017 04:18PM
Shamefully didn't check the cable st ones - quite a few ringed in Aberdeen I think. I'll check when I get home
January 01, 2017 04:21PM
21 waxwing near Skerton Bridge N end (Chelsea Mews 2pm this aft)

Little owl calling to another in the Crem

Guy, thank you for tawny owl, it's just out of my SD46 survey square ( Royal Albert Hosp is my Southern boundary) but needs to go in SD45 sq for who ever is doing that one.

Highlight today when out for a brief hour was the two new ponds since the bypass was built. 3 snipe on the edge of the bund pond N side of Barley Cop Lane and the top soil scrape pond North of the railway/bypass bridge on Folly Lane where a rather optimistic little grebe was diving. It's new this summer but appears to be permenantly flooded so could be good later. All the top soil for the embankment was scraped from this field. It needs an island dumping in the middle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Thanks go to Pete Crooks for today's header photo of Aldcliffe. If you have a suitable picture of a local birding spot, why not send it to the webmaster, at andymccafferty@gmail.com? I need to resize (and if necessary crop) pictures to make them 600x130 pixels, so ideally send it at that size (definitely not smaller).

Site design by Andrew McCafferty | Back to top.

web counter
web counter