Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

WAXWING sightings or info on concentrations of berry laden ROWAN

Posted by pete marsh 
Re: WAXWING sightings or info on concentrations of berry laden ROWAN
December 05, 2016 07:25AM
Should be Sunday Morning!!!
December 05, 2016 09:20AM
One waxwing feeding on the rowan by Arcon House on Heaton Road this morning, 8:50am.
December 05, 2016 06:57PM
Seen some pics of at least two in burton in Lonsdale today. don't know where and not going to push it as we had trouble in a cul de sac there a few years ago with perceived intrusive behaviour
December 07, 2016 04:35PM
Burton in Lonsdale update. Two seen Monday near a birders residence and no sign since but plenty of berries
December 09, 2016 12:21PM
Arnside Waxwings - 16 arriving at 11.13am to Church Hill , Arnside to feed on the usual Rowan back garden bushes seen from our house stopping for at least 45 mins flying round to bushes near the EI - good views.
December 10, 2016 12:19PM
Arnside Waxwings - 20 today flying round our house and feeding on the heavily laden Rowan berry tree on Pier Lane between 9.50 -10.50 am . Excellent views from our windows.
December 11, 2016 11:33AM
Arnside Waxwings - 20 back again at 9.35 staying around for over 30 minutes before leaving except for 2 which stayed on the usual Rowan before flying off at 11.25 up Church Hill
December 11, 2016 04:33PM
Arnside Waxwings - 21 at 1.15 pm feeding at Church Hill before flying off at 1.40 pm
December 11, 2016 04:34PM
21 waxwings Hollins Lane Arnside 10.30 am 11/12/16

I did not observe any feeding behaviour

I see a pattern here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2016 04:36PM by redders.

December 12, 2016 12:31PM
Over 30 birds Church Hill Arnside on Saturday

Flock flew off towards Grange-over-sands on Sunday - apparently joined by another flock as it crossed the estuary ! Worth looking in Grange !
December 12, 2016 04:00PM
Arnside today 15.45 12th Dec 16

Upper Hollins lane 6 trilling consotantly

Appear to be feeding on Ash seeds. Would have thought the masses of berries around a better meal.

Peter last
December 12, 2016 11:57PM
Peter, I've said it before and I'll say it again, and it's only a theory of mine, I've never read anything about it. The perfect spot for waxwing is a well laden rowan adjacent to a taller well laden ash. Whether the waxwings feed off the ash I have no idea, I've never observed it. They do however prefer a taller 'refuge' tree to retreat to when feeding on low growing rowan or often fallen berries which they will happily ground feed on if undisturbed. They are always very flighty in my experience ground feeding. On warmer sunnier winter days they often insect hunt like a flycatcher from the taller branches of ash trees too. Here is the thing. A winter ash, well keyed in clumps bears a striking resemblance to a tree with starlings or waxwings nestled in the branches. Other suspects such as blackbirds or mistle thrushes tend to take a top of the tree dominant and defensive position as an obvious singleton and can be ruled out when hunting waxwings. I am convinced ash is the 'refuge tree' of choice for camouflage purposes for waxwing. The perfect scenario is a tree of both species next to each other I suppose.
December 13, 2016 12:23PM
Arnside today 10.45 in Plantation area.

C30 waxwings moving around area plus 5 in Hollins lane.

Peter Last
December 13, 2016 12:31PM
Just read your obs Eddy. Interesting. The hollins birds are now on hawthorn nearby to yesterday obs. Cannot see why they wouldnt get energy from ash seeds. Certainly looked like it. Great watching them flycatch today in very mild weather and brief sun.

Peter last
December 13, 2016 12:45PM
Church Hill ,Arnside - 21 Waxwings resting in our oak tree and often feeding on Rowan trees nearby since noon and still here now [ 12.45pm]
December 13, 2016 01:01PM
Waxwing numbers increasing to 40 on Church Hill Rowans at 1.0 pm
December 14, 2016 01:17PM
Arnside Waxwings - 43 at 8.20am till at least 1.0pm feeding on the usual Rowan on Church Hill
December 14, 2016 02:03PM
Hi John, were exactly are the Rowan trees, I have been up and down Church Hill, no luck.

. Andrew

Thanks John, I managed to see 16 Waxwing, all feeding in the small Rowan at the bottom end of the carpark.

They were flying between the top of the nearby tall tree and preening in the sunshine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/12/2016 06:40PM by knottender.
December 14, 2016 02:26PM
Hi
Their favourite Rowan at the moment seems to be the one in the car park opposite the Educational Institute on the left up Church Hill but they are very flighty and often flying off to other berry trees up Church Hill mainly in back gardens . They are also often resting in my oak tree near the car park.
There are still 2 or 3 about now but the main party have gone elsewhere at present - probably back later since lots of berries left on the Rowan.
Best of luck.
John
December 14, 2016 04:12PM
14th December

There were 8 birds about this morning feeding on a Rowan in a back Garden.

On the right as you go up Church Hill (visible from Silverdale Road).

Jim Shep.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Thanks go to Pete Crooks for today's header photo of Aldcliffe. If you have a suitable picture of a local birding spot, why not send it to the webmaster, at andymccafferty@gmail.com? I need to resize (and if necessary crop) pictures to make them 600x130 pixels, so ideally send it at that size (definitely not smaller).

Site design by Andrew McCafferty | Back to top.

web counter
web counter