Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

WAXWING sightings or info on concentrations of berry laden ROWAN

Posted by pete marsh 
WAXWING sightings or info on concentrations of berry laden ROWAN
November 04, 2016 02:31PM
Waxwings are definitely going to reach us, perhaps even this weekend

Decent stands of rowans by Bookers cash and carry on white Lund and along the first 300m of nearby Newgate

Please can this be kept as a sticky - who is doing the admin on this site these days please?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2016 12:00PM by pete marsh.
Re: Ornamental rowans revisited
November 04, 2016 07:09PM
Two on the pager flying over dalton crags today
Re: WAXWING sightings or info on concentrations of berry laden ROWAN
November 05, 2016 03:00PM
Had a scoot around the usual places in Lancaster. No waxwings but plenty of berries as others have said in all the usual sites. Random selection of sites with a track record in recent years...bottom of Borrowdale Rd (service), Crem (rowan), Owen Rd to Skerton Bridge (rowan and service), Pointer Roundabout/Greaves Park/Ripley (rowan & service), Booths car park round to Boot and Shoe car park plus Lentworth Drive (rowan), Car Park behind Dalton Sq (white rowan), East Rd probably best site from The Cathedral up to LRGS crossroads with Wyresdale Rd (hanging with rowan). I've always felt when feeding on berries waxwings prefer a higher and safer refuge perch to return to, and it's often an ash tree with keys hanging. Worth familiarising yourself with their 'tinkling bell' call....

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2016 03:00PM by eddybayton.
November 05, 2016 06:48PM
Thanks eddy. Couple of rowan in halfords car park
November 08, 2016 11:20AM
Singleton Middleton sewage works entrance then flushed by vehicle reverse alarm and headed off SW (and one chiffchaff nearby)
November 08, 2016 12:37PM
3 Waxwings reported by my neighbour on cotoneaster and rowan in his Forton garden about 8.30 this morning. Flew off but will keep watch.

Bryan H
November 08, 2016 02:58PM
17 central Morecambe this pm flying over st Mary's Rc church

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2016 06:28PM by pete marsh.
November 08, 2016 03:33PM
12 in an area with strictly no access skerton
November 19, 2016 08:13PM
It seems like the initial migratory rush with the above reports over a.couple or so days has been followed by an ever so slow movement south and south west with some big flocks now hitting eastern lakes towns including at least one in Kendal. One thing I've noticed on the rounds is the lack of mistle thrushes defending trees and this must surely, along with the very slow movement to the south and south west, due to the abundance of berries? I would expect a few to reach this area in the next three days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/11/2016 08:14PM by pete marsh.
November 23, 2016 07:37PM
A second hand report of two along the cycle track near the stables at westgate today
November 26, 2016 05:01PM
Outside area but a few 'easy' ones (10 Today) if you're in Kendal...on Mintsfeet Rd near Morrisons...didn't realize they were still there as had been seen early in the week on birdguides but no reports since that I'd seen ?
On now...
November 30, 2016 08:47PM
Eleven on berries on Heaton road by Arcon house this pm. Scotforth
November 30, 2016 09:30PM
Hello! Long time lurker on the forums but hitherto a bit scared to post because of my total amateur status - as evidenced by this question - what chance the Heaton Road waxwings will be there again? And when's most likely - tomorrow? Morning?

I ask only because I've always wanted to see waxwings and it's 50 yards from my house smiling smiley

Nathan
December 01, 2016 08:18AM
Nathan, I'd say every chance if the feeding is good . I've known them hang about one site for 10 days or more. I'll have a look myself and the surrounding area. Good luck.
December 01, 2016 09:00AM
Exactly 11 waxwings roosting in tall conifer and birch? above greenhouse on alloment site 50 yds north of Arcon House as posted above. Should be feeding on local rowan today. No reason not to.
December 01, 2016 09:26AM
I was just about to post the same thing! Flitting between the birch in the allotments and the rowan you mentioned. Amazing. Thanks so much.
December 01, 2016 10:35AM
Thanks for tip off Pete. Flit around suspect places revealed nothing else.
December 02, 2016 03:41PM
10 in the same place along Heaton Road this afternoon per a friend
December 02, 2016 04:00PM
Yes, ten there c.14:45 until flushed and chased by a Sparrowhawk.

Hoping they might spot the Cotoneasters in our garden.
December 05, 2016 07:22AM
Heaton Road

No Waxwings Thursday Morning, 2 visits to Arcon House and Allotments.

Still plenty of Berries on the Trees.

Jim Shep
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Thanks go to Pete Crooks for today's header photo of Aldcliffe. If you have a suitable picture of a local birding spot, why not send it to the webmaster, at andymccafferty@gmail.com? I need to resize (and if necessary crop) pictures to make them 600x130 pixels, so ideally send it at that size (definitely not smaller).

Site design by Andrew McCafferty | Back to top.

web counter
web counter