Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Yellow-browed warbler

Posted by Jon Carter 
Jon Carter
Yellow-browed warbler
October 10, 2005 12:29PM
Just had a phone call from a local birder to say that there's a yellow-browed warbler in Freeman's Wood, Lancaster.
At the end of New Quay Road, by Keyline, where the cycle track starts the bird is with a mixed tit flock including goldcrests and chiffchaff.
H. Hughes
Re: Yellow-browed warbler
October 10, 2005 08:15PM
Also in wood 4 Jays, 2 Chiffchaff, 2 Blackcap, 1 Redwing. 1 Green Sand flushed by flood defence work.
Eddy Bayton
October 10, 2005 08:55PM
Jon, thanks for this. I only had half an hour and was unsuccessful, but by 2.30 there were quite a few people about looking. I didn't encounter a traditional Tit party but there was a lot of stuff spread throughout the wood. Goldcrest dominated the path itself (7 I think), a Chiffchaff just on the way out by Keyline and at least one Jay audible. I might have time for a stroll around tomorrow if it's not too 'late' .
October 11, 2005 08:29AM
Spent the first hour of what could optimistically be referred to as daylight this morning in the area where the bird was seen yesterday.
No sign of any tit flocks, though the area is relatively large and past experience of birding at this site suggests that parties of birds can do large circuits. Given the site's previous track record (subalpine wabler, great grey shrike etc) its surprising that so few birders bother with it - yesterday's YB proves this further.
In that context I was amazed not to see another birder there this morning!
Eddy Bayton
October 11, 2005 12:07PM
Jon, missed you by a couple of hours I guess. Just came back from the end of the Quay having given up all pretence of work for the morning. Did Keyline to the metal gate at Aldcliffe then back past the maize to the crossroads. Turned left there and down to the Lune. Back to the crossroads and then back to Keyline. The only birds of note were Jay, 2 Raven over, Sparrowhawk over the maize, Merlin on a post and a very confiding Chiffchaff which kept me company in the rain for 5 minutes at the metal gate at Aldcliffe. 'All' the geese were on the marsh right by the gate but by this time the light was giving me S.A.D. . There was quite a large LTT party between the crossroads and the Lune but only 1 GT and 5 BT in tow. Did not encounter any Goldcrest. Robins dominated the cycletrack bushes and hedges (27) although Chaffinch and Greenfinch nos. seemed up on a fortnight ago.

Lowest counts were birdwatchers (0), skiving townies (3),dog walkers (2), farmers and drainage engineers (6).
October 11, 2005 01:35PM
That's an impressive robin count, certainly up on the weekend.
I must have been too early for any skiving townies, though I think I hit the morning peak for dog walkers (4). Like yellowhammer, the once common gluesniffer is now a rarity in the Freeman's Wood area... :-)

Of note: Dome bushes at lunchtime: 1 chiffchaff, 1 goldcrest, 1 blackcap (f), 6 blackbird, 8 robins plus regular bits and pieces.
2 rock pipit on the wooden slip by the Jetty.
Jean Roberts
October 11, 2005 04:00PM
Glad to hear of the decrease in gluesniffers - it's one of the reasons I haven't crept around in Freeman's Wood on my own.
Pete Marsh
October 11, 2005 04:54PM
Using the new highway which runs between Lancaster Quay and Stodday sewage works: a fat Garden Warbler and two thinner Blackcaps were encountered. Just ONE Goldcrest which suggests a clear-out sometime last night based on the "Howard Hughes" and Keith Kellet et al feedback from yesterday = lots of 'crests. No phylloscs encountered.

Best thing was the new notice in the Japanese Knotweed fields which have been there at least 25 years:

"Keep out: Invasive weeds are active in this area"

Presumably this came from the hordes of environmentalists employed under a "community benefit" banner by Lancs City C.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter