Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Twite

Posted by John W Bateman. 
Twite
November 28, 2004 09:25AM
Photos of Twite feeding Heysham North Wall.

Re: Twite
November 28, 2004 10:22AM
Hi
Two observations here:

1) It is obvious someone has added wild bird seed - I really sincerely hope that was not done yesterday c/f pigeon problem it creates. How many times do we have to tell people that the (difficult to see) black nyger seed is the preferred "non-naturally occurring" food for Twite! I hope it is an old photograph dating back to the wild bird seed incident in early November - e.g. the front bird looks unringed.

2) More positively. It is possible to age and sex the 'main' bird and also have a go at ageing the bottom out of focus bird. Anyone want to have a go and I'll respond later this week.

Regards

Pete
November 28, 2004 04:45PM
Hi Pete. The photo was taken 3wks ago & kept of the website due to your wishes to allow ringing to proceed without interference. JWB.
November 29, 2004 12:05AM
Sorry John - the emphasis should be the other way round. The feeding station was set up for the purpose of ringing Twite as part of a study of this species in relation to its red listed status. It was not set up for the benefit of photographers.

Therefore rather than language implying the ringers were "stopping the photographers", surely in this case the reasonable and civilised approach should have been contact by the photographers of the ringing team along the lines of "do you mind if we use your feeding area..........when would be convenient?". None of the photographers have ever made an effort to contact the ringing team and the three (all Fylde-based??)[therefore no complaints with respect to yourself, John, or Mike and Jane] lots I have come across have assumed it is their right to turn up whenever they want and plonk themslves as near as possible to the birds. In this respect, the regular anglers who use the site are fine and the birds come and feed because they do not park "on top" of the feeding station. They are also good for feedback c/f numbers - we have never received any feedback on numbers/ringed bird ratios from photographers

In practice, we realise it is a "public"* site (*although when it comes to the crunch, the harbour authorities could remove everyone from the area at a moments notice), therefore are quite happy to publicise the site and explain what we are doing. In return, supposing a photographer turned up tomorrow at first light just before the planned ringing session (there IS one) and parked next to the feeding station, we would expect them to move and allow the ringing to take place. I hope you would agree with this.

Best regards

Pete
November 29, 2004 12:17AM
Bank End, nr Cockersands Sunday

Twite
14 were seen at the entrance to the caravan site - they like sitting in the solitary tree along the fence. ALL were ringed with Heysham sequence rings with about a third being 2003/4 birds and the rest ringed this autumn. There may have been a light blue over yellow 2002/3 bird but I wasnt sure.

This reinforces the theory that a high percentage of her subsequent Fylde saltmarsh wintering population pass through Heysham in late October-about 20th November (in 2003/4, but not 2002, an abnormal year with a sizeable flock at Bolton-le-Sands interchanging with Fylde birds). The question is, does this also include the Ribble marshes birds?

60 Black-tailed Godwit but that's no big deal these days?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter