Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Cattle Egret

Posted by H. Hughes 
H. Hughes
Cattle Egret
March 08, 2005 03:26PM
Caught a glimpse of a (non-br pl Cattle Egret) flapping low SW over Lune as I was watching gulls on Cricket field c1455.

Hadn't got time to chase it but Ald. area obviously worth a try.
Jon Carter
Re: Cattle Egret
March 08, 2005 04:10PM
Hi

Definitely a cattle egret?
If so this is, I think I'm right in saying, a first for the recording area!
It'll need to be seen better to make it onto the record books...

I know where I'll be before work tomorrow!
March 08, 2005 11:39PM
The following were seen in late afternoon:

2nd W Iceland Gull on tip

Peggymarsh Pool/Heaton Marsh north
It seemed that all the PFG were on this side & with them were a single Barnacle (not the fencehopper [apart from NYD!] associating with Canadas which was also around)and the light and dark-bellied Brents. A small number were out of sight on Heaton Marsh but the only other thing of interest was neck-collar 1HX which I have sent in.
Jon Carter
March 09, 2005 09:02AM
A quick look around the area this morning turned up a single little egret on Aldcliffe, plus nearby green sandpiper, little owl etc.
Heaps of geese still on the marsh but too distant for me to sensibly have a go through with just bins.

With reference to yesterday's report of possible cattle egret there is nothing in the way of large livestock around the Aldcliffe area. Cattle on Colloway and horses at Stodday being the only likely candidates. My own experience of the species, in numerous countries, suggests the tip is the best place to look!
H. Hughes
March 09, 2005 12:55PM
The egret could well have been on the tip, I suppose. Let's hope it's gone back.

Worth searching for- I'm sure it was this species, despite the brevity of my view of it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter