Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

curlew

Posted by Louise North 
Louise North
curlew
March 07, 2005 12:24PM
Don't know if it's anything special but there were over 100 Curlews just up river from Bull Beck on Sunday.
Re: curlew
March 07, 2005 06:33PM
Yes I saw these as well, Louise. After initial fears in sub-tropical January that the early movement of waders would "skew" the winter bird survey figures, the movement inland and uphill of all waders, but especially Curlew, has been slow and tentative. I suspect this represents a "bottleneck" of birds waiting for the milder weather. Curlew have been very slow to materialise at my height (High Tatham)

Regards

Pete
March 08, 2005 11:37AM
One hour staring out of the window at High Tatham produced

Lapwing: 6+4+13+5 flying east. NONE on territory
Curlew: NONE
Oystercatcher: NONE

There were two Oystercatchers on territory early last week but they have 'retreated', following two very sharp frosts. Quite a few Curlew by this time last year (common breeding bird in surrounding fields)
Eddy Bayton
March 08, 2005 02:59PM
Pair Lapwing on territory on the (former) prison farm field W of Grab Lane, Lancaster. Nothing obvious further up the hill.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter