Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo Today's photo by Pete Crooks Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society logo
Sightings Discussion and Notices Photos Insects
Edit profile Help on formatting Search sightings

Bar Tail Godwits.

Posted by John W Bateman. 
Bar Tail Godwits.
November 12, 2004 07:44AM
It is good to hear of the return of BTGwits to a site that in the past was a certain garuanted site for them .
Re: Bar Tail Godwits.
November 12, 2004 08:30AM
Hi
I'm not sure exactly where this refers to but presume the Lune Estuary.

I have had cause to examine the Lune/Heysham/Pilling etc WeBS counts for various reasons over the last few years as well as participating in low-tide counts for the Lune Estuary for two different companies.

If everything behaved like Barwits, my survey results would have been really difficult to make any meaningful use of. For Barwit read: "up to 2,000 can be anywhere between Pilling and Ocean Edge but they are completely missed on many WeBS, especially low tides when they might be roosting out of sight in shallow tidal water". One or two counts seem to indicate more than 2000 as apparently there "used to be".

At low tide, however, they DO appear to be more reliable with Glasson Basin used on a regular basis as is also the case with the small summering flock of mainly 1st summer birds.

Regards

Pete
November 13, 2004 08:51AM
The area I was reffering to was the Lune/Conder Est:- viewable from the picnic area or the seawall at Glasson.In the past one could almost be certain to see this species on the flats & edge of Colloway Marsh,then 6/7yrs ago they dissapeared only single nos counted ,now they appeared to have returned in nos: like in the past.
November 13, 2004 09:22AM
Hi John
Let me know privately if you want my low-tide counts which show them=sizeable flock on the Glasson sailing club to Crook Farm section on a few occasions and once right up on Colloway Marsh near the pylons.

At High Tide they're even worse, as implied in last e-mail!

Best regards
Pete
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

All LDBWS web pages are the copyright of Lancaster and District Birdwatching Society and should not be reproduced elsewhere without the express permission of the Society. The opinions expressed in the LDBWS newsletter are not necessarily those of the Society. The content of LDBWS Member's Web Pages is the responsibility of the member concerned. LDBWS ask all birdwatchers to observe the Birdwatchers' Code of Conduct and the Country Code.

Back to top.

web counter
web counter